Friday, July 24, 2015

Logo's - The Struggle Is Real

For fuck's sake...

A lot of people have reported this story, but I figured I should go ahead and make a first-hand account that exists beyond a Reddit thread.

CCP, for legal reasons, has reworked their Alliance logo policy. As Kaphine pointed out in a previous blog, our redesigned/cleaned up logo (courtesy of Xavior Harkonnen), was rejected barely 2 days after the announcement of the new logo policy.

Now, for clarification, the logo was NOT rejected for color problems, or the quality of the image, or the (insert graphic design terminology I know nothing about) having/being too much/not enough (insert appropriate negative adjective for said art-thing). It was rejected for:

"The nature of it's content." 

This means what is being depicted, not the quality of what is being depicted. This is important, since it was the number one question everyone, inside and outside Tso's had when I announced the rejection. It's a good assumption, given that my Alliance is shit at following directions in EVE, we'd more than likely be shit at following a dev blog's instructions on how to make a 512 x 512 image.

Immediately after the rejection, I ran to Reddit, to see if any other Alliance submissions had been so quickly rejected. After rolling back 3 pages from the front, I decided to make my own. My intention was not to stir shit nor cause community backlash against CCP, or to farm the ever-precious karma.

Karma, you know, this thing Carson Daly invented.

I simply wanted to see if we were the odd bunch out, or if logo's were being rejected left and right. Instead, the thread got a bit out of hand, with plenty of threats about burning Jita/Amarr/CCP Headquarters. There were posts pointing out that if the takeout box was rejected, then surely TEST's Middle Management Dino or Goons Fatbee would HAVE to be rejected, right?




Whether those coming to Tso's support did so out of compassion "for the little guy" or were doing so to begin polarizing the community to defend their own submission-rejections in the future, I can't be certain. The response to the thread was largely behind Tso's, either way.

A few trolls called the art crappy (if only they looked at our old logo).

Another reply pointed out (an unknown fact to me) that our design wasn't original, and that the basic outline was lifted from an open-use site. Now, this got me a bit fired up at my own guys, since the history behind the current designed involved a draft (done by me) being mocked and rejected, and then Yin showed me a design he had "made" that we all preferred. This eventually became our logo, and only Salid knew that Yin had lifted the design. Granted, he absolutely created a vastly-improved, derivative work, but it burns my ass that he mocked my design and didn't even create his own idea...

Back to my conversation with CCP Falcon, I attempted to get an idea of what alternatives might get accepted, so I listed off all those that Tso's members came up with on Mumble.


He replied.



This moved my reaction from disappointment to anger. I posted this update to my Reddit thread, and it caused even hotter responses, since none of the creative ideas were likely to be approved. Many comments pointed out that nothing is "grimdark" enough for CCP's new "art vision" and that the game is no longer allowed to be shaped by players, like the amazingly successful "This is EVE" trailer claimed, and we have to leave the sandbox to enter the narrow "art vision" for the future of EVE.

So, this will make it through, right? Image courtesy of Salo.

CCP held a meeting the day of the thread, discussing the topic with CSM members, including our #1 vote, Sugar Kyle.

She even popped onto our comms that night to talk me off the proverbial cliff. She explained that the takeout box's relation to our name isn't necessarily clear outside of the United States, and that maintaining clear dialog with CCP Falcon (instead of creating shit-storm inducing Reddit threads) might be a better means to finding a compromise.

I took her advice and talked to Squidgit, Dark Drifter, and Xavior about where we could go from here. We all desired to get the box through, but at the very least include chopsticks. My art guys whipped out rough sketches that I resubmitted later that week, with an apology for the Reddit thread and an explanation of our history (6 year birthday went by in March, btw.)

Some time went by, and more threads were going up on Reddit regarding logos being rejected, including an interesting site that was created by robotdonny to document the rejected ones. This was the intent of my original thread, of course, but his idea was much better.

In that thread, CCP Falcon replied, stating that the Tso's takeout box was accepted!!!

Now, I've still yet to receive an "official" email stating this is fact, but I know that CCP love the open correspondence environment of Reddit, so I feel confident that this news is true. Of course, we won't know until the new logo's go live next month, and I will update this post accordingly.

As a thank-you to the community, Tso's will (hopefully) be bringing a surprise to EVE Vegas this fall for showing their support.

No comments:

Post a Comment